Why should I harvest rainwater?
Harvesting rainwater has a number of benefits for you and the environment:
- Rainwater is softer than mains water and is better for: plants, clothes washing and car washing
- Saving water saves money (a domestic system can save up to 50% of water and a commercial system may save even more)
- It is good for the environment. The UK is set to experience more and more water shortages as our climate gets drier and population increases
- It’s a feature for your property
- Helps to mitigate local flooding – reusing the rainwater will reduce the amount of water going in to the surface water drains, which all helps towards preventing local flooding.
Take home message
Any water saving is good, whether it is a low flush toilet, or a rainwater harvesting system. These days we see water as a commodity which is regularly wasted. Alongside sunlight, it is our most precious natural resource and should be used wisely and saved where possible.
Last Update: December 5, 2019